Monday 5 March 2012

Sweet Treasures Cot Quilt

A while back, I happened across a beautiful vintage linen textile which had hand embroidered animals on it. I'm not honestly sure whether it was meant to be a table cloth or a sheet but I thought I could use it even better!

What followed is this really beautiful and unique crib-sized patchwork quilt. The fussy-cut embroidered patches have been interspersed with traditional 9-patch blocks in the most gorgeous cottons, mainly 1930's reproduction in style, in really delicious colours. I then added a little something extra with blocks bearing appliqued heart motifs which I then hand quilted with prettily coloured silky perle threads.






The materials used in this quilt are all natural. The quilt is backed with simple white cotton flannelette which feels so deliciously cosy to snuggle into and just gets softer with use. Natural cotton batting is inside and I have traditionally bound the quilt with a cute pastel polka dot binding which I have, of course, hand sewn to the reverse for a truly professional finish. The quilt has been machine quilted with white thread and hand quilted round each heart motif in different pretty colours. I appliqued the hearts traditionally with a secure machine zig zag stitch and did not use any fusible web so that the quilt will remain lovely and soft.






The quilt measures 34" wide X 42" long so should fit cosily inside an average crib (please use your tape measure should you wish to make sure). It would also make a superb play mat on the floor or wall hanging and is big enough to move to a little one's bed, too. It's an ideal size for a little one to manage on their own because it's not too big or heavy. Perfect for snuggling up for a read on the sofa.





Easy to care for, I machine wash all my own quilts at 30 degrees and then line dry them. A little shrinkage may occur but this just gives that delightful slightly crinkly look vintage quilt collectors so covet. I love my quilts more once they've been washed! If you choose, you can restore a crisper look with a light iron.






A little name patch is hand stitched to the reverse. There is space to add a child's name or date of birth if desired. This is a really special quilt which is destined to become a family heirloom and hold such sweet memories for your child and/or for you.






This one-of-a-kind quilt is priced at £130 including postage in the UK by Special Delivery (insured) or regular airmail overseas. My sales policies can be read in my side bar.

SOLD, MANY THANKS